CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO THE APPLICATION PROSPECTUS
Call for Entries
Onsite Gallery Pavilions and Artist Collective Workshops
DEADLINE: Monday, March 11, 2019
Artscape, Baltimore’s highly anticipated summer arts festival, is seeking proposals from approximately ten galleries, maker resource organizations and artist collectives to repurpose a shipping container each into an exhibition space or workshop to be featured at this year’s festival. Containers will be installed along Charles Street from Mt. Royal Avenue to Lanvale Street. Artist collaborative groups and maker resource organizations working in both the visual and performing arts are encouraged to apply.
Proposed project spaces should actively engage the audience and provide a unique and memorable experience for the festival goer. Gallery pavilions and workshop spaces should be visually compelling through design and be interactive where appropriate. In keeping with the spirit of the festival, all exhibitions and workshops must be free and open to the public the entire Artscape weekend. The locations for these modules fall within the footprint of Artscape After Hours which extends the festival from 9 to 11pm along Charles Street on both Friday and Saturday nights. The projects within this footprint must be active during this time period as well as standard festival hours; therefore, lighting should be a consideration.
Shipping containers will be available offsite approximatelyone weekprior to Artscape and galleries and artist collectives will have access to the containers to prepare them for their exhibition at Artscape. Containers will be transported onto the Artscape site on Thursday, July 18, where onsite installation of artwork can take place from 11am on Thursday to 11am on Friday, July 19. These installation times and container transportation should be considered and spaces planned accordingly. Proposed projects should also be designed with considerations for safety, for the needs of an outdoor environment, and factoring in heavy use by large crowds attending Artscape. Deinstallation of the project/exhibition from the containers takes place on Sunday, July 21 from 7pm to 11pm.
Each accepted gallery or artist collective will be awarded approximately a $2500.00 project grant; Artscape may additionally be able to supplement budgets by providing some logistical necessities (generators, tents, volunteer assistance, signage, seating, etc.).
Submissions will be reviewed by the Artscape curator and BOPA Staff.
Modules is a program of the Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts, Inc. (BOPA). Artscape is produced by the Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts, Inc. on behalf of the Baltimore Festival of the Arts, Inc.
Application Materials to Prepare
1. Artscape proposal (.doc or .pdf format) that includes a basic drawing or rendering and brief written description of proposed exhibition, workshop or project. Please include details on how the piece would transform for Artscape Afterhours from 9pm to 11pm on Friday and Saturday nights.
2. Project Budget (.doc or .pdf format)
3. Gallery or artist collaborative exhibition/project history or resume (.doc or .pdf format)
4. Applicants should include 5-10 jpeg images or video of previous exhibitions or projects. Please label files by gallery or artist collaborative group name, followed by the number that corresponds on your image/video list (for example: AdamsGallery01.jpg, AdamsGallery02.jpg, etc). Images should be no larger than approximately 3MB to 5MB each in size, each video should be under 250MB.
5. Previous exhibition and project list that includes title, date, and a brief description (.doc or .pdf format).
1. There are no geographic restrictions for application. However, travel and accommodation costs should be factored into budget.
2. An approximate $2500.00 project grant will be awarded to each selected gallery or artist collective group. Galleries and artist collectives may also sell artwork from their exhibition/project.
3. Exhibitions and projects are expected to be active during all of the operating hours of the festival, Friday,
July 19, 11am-11pm; Saturday, July 20, 11am-11pm; Sunday, July 21, 11am-7pm.
4. Galleries and artist collectives will also be responsible for monitoring of their exhibitions and space. Onsite installation must occur beginning at approximately 11am on Thursday, July 18, and be completed by the opening of the festival at 11am, on Friday, July 19, 2019. Deinstallation is from 7pm – 11pm on Sunday, July 21. Artists must check-out with Artscape staff immediately after de-installation is complete to ensure that the works have been properly dismantled and removed from the site.
5. Galleries and artist collectives onsite during the weekend will be credentialed to receive light hospitality (bottled water, snacks, etc.) and each installation will receive up to two passes to park in The Fitzgerald garage throughout the weekend.
6. BOPA reserves the right to reproduce images of selected artwork for printed or internet
publicity, catalogue, map or marketing purposes.
7. By submitting an application, you agree to and accept application requirements and guidelines.
Application deadline: Monday, March 11, 2019
Applicant Notification: Monday, April 1, 2019
Offsite Installation: TBD
Onsite Installation: 11am on Thursday, July 18 – 11am on Friday, July 19 (vehicles must be offsite by 10am 7/19)
Artwork De-installation: 7pm – 11pm, Sunday, July 21
Artscape: July 19 -21, 2019
For more information contact Kim Domanski at 443-286-2043 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO THE APPLICATION PROSPECTUS