The Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City Artist Travel Prize: Call for Entries
Application deadline – July 31, 2019
The Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts, Inc. (BOPA) is proud to announce the fourth edition of the Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City Artist Travel Prize, sponsored by the Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City (MASB). The Municipal Art Society of Baltimore was founded in 1899 as part of the City Beautiful movement. It is one of only two remaining societies to be operating under its original charter “to provide sculptural and pictorial decoration and ornaments for the public buildings, streets and open spaces in the City of Baltimore, and to help generally beautify the City.” Artistic contributions to the City span more than one hundred years. In 2016 the MASB embarked on a path to provide new opportunities to Baltimore artists and art places within the City. This prize will award $6,000 to a visual artist or visual artist collaborators, living in Baltimore City. Successful proposals will be selected from submissions that clearly articulate the artist’s reason for travel and how it relates to their work, along with support materials. The $6,000 prize is intended to function as funding for travel essential to an artist’s studio practice that an artist may not otherwise be able to afford.
The Municipal Art Society of Baltimore Artist Travel Prize will be accepting online applications at the following link:
You will be asked to submit the following:
Written Proposal (one page max, PDF only) This should include where you would go if awarded the prize, a section about your work, and an explanation of how this opportunity would advance your studio practice. The primary goal of this award is to advance an artist’s work and does not need to be tied to a possible or secured artist residency- research can be the focus of proposed travel. Proposal should include a post travel exhibition, which would happen in one of BOPA's exhibition spaces in School 33, the Bromo Seltzer tower or Top of the World (the observation deck gallery in Baltimore's World Trade Center.)
Resume (two pages max, PDF only)
- Artists must submit 10 images of their work most relevant to their proposal.
- Images should be in jpeg format, and not be larger than 1 MB. (1240x900 pixels, 72 dpi)
- Please label your images last name, first name and number corresponding to your image list (example: DoeJane_01.jpg, DoeJane_02.org, etc)
Artists wishing to submit video work in lieu of images may do so by submitting 5 to 10 links to their videos on YouTube, Vimeo, etc, or submit video directly to the application. Videos should not exceed two minutes; you do not need to submit your whole project. Pick a representative sample that will give jurors a good example of your work.
Image/Video list (one page max, PDF only)List title, media, year produced, and any narrative information for the jurors.
Travel Budget (use attached budget form to submit)
Please use the attached budget form and provide the most realistic budget for your proposed travel, including all things that need to be funded to realize the trip. Do not feel compelled to pad your travel with the highest number of locations or quantity of travel- the budget should reflect the needs as described in your statement, and the most realistic use of the funds.
Click here to download budget form.
- Artists living in Baltimore City are eligible; Artists must live in Baltimore City during time of application and during the entire granting period.
- Artists must be at least 21 years old, and may not be full-time students or enrolled in a degree-granting program at the time of the granting period, Summer 2019 to Summer 2020. (although current seniors and last semester graduate students are encouraged to apply)
- Artists who apply as individuals must submit original artwork that is principally created by them. It is understood that sometimes individual artists may employ the work of another artist to complete a larger scale project. For example, an artist who works in video may choose to include sound in the video that is composed by another artist. In such cases, the individual artist applying to the MASB Artist Travel Prize must be the primary creator of the work, they must disclose any assistance received on artwork submitted for consideration and they must obtain permission from the contributor to submit the work for consideration. Failure to disclose this support will disqualify the applicant, and the artist will be required to return any prize monies awarded.
- Upon www.submittable.com’s receipt of application materials, artists will be sent an automatic email confirmation. If an artist does not receive this confirmation within 48 hours, please contact Lou Joseph at email@example.com.
- The award will be paid in three installments. $2,500 will be paid upon signing a contract with BOPA, wherein the artist agrees to the guidelines outlined here. The second payment ($2,500) will be paid once travel plans are confirmed with receipts. The third payment ($1,000) will be paid upon the completion of a public presentation of artwork based on this travel.
- Artist award may not be used for the purchase of equipment or materials for art production.
- Winners of the Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City Artist Travel Grant Prize will be responsible for paying all applicable federal, state and local taxes.
- The Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City and BOPA reserve the right to reproduce images of applicants’ work for printed or internet publicity, catalogue or marketing purposes.
- Previous winners of the Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City Public Art Prize are not eligible to apply for this award, as are recipients of the Henry Walters Travel Prize.
- Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City and BOPA reserve the right to reproduce images of applicants’ work for printed or internet publicity, catalogue or marketing purposes.
- The decisions of the jurors are final. The jury consists of the members of the board of the Municipal Art Society, and jurors/board members may change without notification.
- BOPA and Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City Board members, employees and/or Immediate family (defined as children, spouse, domestic partner or parents) are not eligible to apply for the MASB Artist Travel Prize.
- May 16, 2019: Call for entries released
- July 31, 2019: Application deadline
- September 2019: recipient of MASB Artist Travel Prize announced
- Spring-Summer 2020: Public presentation of travel by selected artist
For more information about the Travel Prize contact: Lou Joseph at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the Municipal Art Society of Baltimore City, contact: Peter Doo at email@example.com