Call for Entries
Artists & Artist Collectives working in Books, Prints, Multiples & Editions
DEADLINE: Monday, April 1, 2019
The 38th annual Artscape, Baltimore’s highly anticipated summer arts festival, is seeking artists and artist collectives who create books, prints, multiples and other editions to participate in a brand new fair within Artscape. This unique art fair environment is set in a parking garage (1714 Charles Street) within the festival footprint, right in the heart of the Station North Art and Entertainment District. Walls will be installed around the perimeter of the garage, creating a pop-up gallery. Exhibiting artists and artist collectives will each be given a table (with two chairs) and some gallery wall space to sell their editions; artists may elect to purchase additional tables if space allows.
In addition to exhibitors, this space will host public artworks, as well as a schedule of speakers and workshops. Exhibiting artists and artists collectives are encouraged to also participate in this aspect of the fair, and should indicate their interest within their application.
Artscape attracts more than 350,000 attendees over a three day weekend, and typically more than 40,000 festival goers visit this exhibition space. Artscape features 150+ fine artists, fashion designers and craftspeople; visual art exhibits on and off-site, including exhibitions, outdoor sculpture, photography, Artscape Gallery Network and the $25,000 Janet & Walter Sondheim Prize; incredible live concerts on three outdoor stages; a robust schedule of performing arts including dance, opera, theater, film, experimental music and the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra; family events such as hands-on projects, demonstrations, competitions, children’s entertainers and street theater; and a delicious, Baltimore-proud menu of food and beverage available throughout the festival site. Artscape’s total economic impact on Baltimore City is $28.5 million.
Artscape is produced by the Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts (BOPA) – the city’s arts council, events agency and film office, on behalf of the Baltimore Festival of the Arts, Inc. Artscape is also America’s largest free arts festival.
HOURS OF OPERATION
Artscape takes place rain or shine, and is open from 11am-9pm on Friday, July 20 and Saturday, July 21; and 11am-7pm on Sunday, July 22. Artscape After Hours (Charles Street only, from Preston Street to North Avenue) is open from 9-11pm on Friday, July 20 and Saturday, July 21 nights. The Artist Books, Prints, Multiples & Editions Fair will be open all regular hours of the festival, but will not participate in Artscape After Hours. Exhibitors will be required to participate all hours of the festival on all three days.
There is no fee to apply to the Artist Books, Prints, Multiples & Editions Fair.
Artists & Artist Collectives curated into the fair will have the following costs for participation:
6ft Table & Two Chairs: $50.00 (each exhibitor will also be given a few feet of wall space to hang works)
Additional Table: $50.00
Additional Chairs: Free
Marissa Fein – Artist and organizer of Open Space’s Print & Multiple Fair in Baltimore
Gary Kachadourian – New York based artist and experienced creator of artist books, prints and multiples
Doreen Bolger – Former Baltimore Museum of Art Director and avid contemporary art collector
APPLICATION GUIDELINES & LOGISTIC DETAILS
- There is no geographic restrictions on participation.
- Artists and artist collectives are encouraged to use their presence at Artscape as a promotional tool for themselves.
- There is electrical access for exhibitors.
- There is overhead florescent lighting in the garage, but each exhibitor should bring their own additional lighting and extension cords. The festival will not have extra extension cords available.
- Exhibitors should be completely self-contained, and come prepared with all necessary tools and hardware to hang and install their space.
- One six foot table and two chairs will be provided to all exhibitors, additional tables will be available in limited quantities depending upon the number of exhibitors. Artists will not be allowed to bring their own tables, but may bring up to two pedestals for exhibition of sculptural editions.
- All tables are required to be covered, artists should bring a table covering with them.
- All work featured in the Artist Book, Print, Multiple & Edition Fairshould be the exhibiting artist or artist collective’s own originally conceived work.
- The Artist Book, Print, Multiple & Edition Fair will be closed and locked with a steel security gate overnight.
- Accepted exhibitors are responsible for installation, staffing, and de-installation within the exhibition timeline listed below.
- Exhibitors may bring their vehicle onto site to unload artworks, but should be removed as soon as unloading is complete. Vehicles will not be allowed onsite during festival open hours. Parking is available in area garages – there is also a Light Rail stop only a block away from the fair. Exhibitors are strongly encouraged to utilize public transportation whenever possible.
- Exhibitors must keep their space open all hours of the festival weekend, rain or shine.
- Artscape does not collect a commission on any sales made by participating artists or artist collectives.
- Exhibitors may not re-sell, share with an unaccepted exhibitor or sub-let any portion of their space.
- Artworks submitted for review for inclusion in the fair must be similar to the works that the artist or artist collective will be bringing to the fair.
- Any violation of these stipulations by exhibitors will result in expulsion from the festival, and a refund will not be given.
- By submitting an application, you agree to and accept all festival terms and conditions. The deadline for submissions is Monday, April 1, 2019.
- Submitting an application does not automatically imply acceptance.
How to Apply
PLEASE SEE APPLICATION BELOW TIMELINE.
Application Materials to Prepare
1. Applicants should include 5 - 10 jpeg images of works that are similar to the works that they will be bringing to the fair. Please label files by artist or artist collective group name, followed by the number that corresponds on your image/video list (for example: AdamsGary01.jpg, AdamsGary02.jpg, etc). Images should be no larger than approximately 3MB to 5MB each in size.
2. Corresponding image list that includes title, date, medium, dimensions and price of artwork.
3. Gallery or artist collective resume (.doc or .pdf format)
Application Deadline: Monday, April 1 , 2019
Applicant Notification: Tuesday, April 16, 2019
Acceptance of Invitation and Table Fee Deadline: Monday, April 22, 2019
Installation: Thursday, July 18 from 10am – 6pm; Friday, July 19 from 8am – 10am (installation must be complete by 10am on Friday, July 19, 2019)
Artscape: July 19 -21, 2019; Friday & Saturday: 11am – 9pm, Sunday: 11am – 7pm (the garage will open at 9:30am on Saturday and Sunday mornings to allow exhibitors to prepare for the day)
De-installation: 7pm – 11pm, Sunday, July 21, 2019
For more information contact Kim Domanski at 443-286-2043 or firstname.lastname@example.org.