University of Maryland Medical Center has partnered with the Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts (BOPA) to commission thirty seven (6’ by 8’) and two (6’ by 12’) murals to be painted onto interior walls of the Inpatient Behavioral Health Unit at UMMC Midtown, 6th floor corridors, and common rooms.
This call to artists asks experienced artists to submit their qualifications for this opportunity in the form of previously completed artworks. Multiple artists may be selected to develop proposals and finished murals for the project. Selected muralists will meet with UMMC to learn more about the space and project goals before creating proposals for new murals.
Total Project budget: $85,000*
*This includes artist time and materials for all thirty seven murals.
Deadline for Application: 5:00pm, Friday, October 19, 2018
Note: This is a Request for Qualifications asking artists to submit examples of previous work. The selected artist will work with project administrators at UMMC and BOPA to design and install mural artworks by December 14, 2018.
Applications are accepted online [HERE] https://promotionandarts.submittable.com/submit/125054/ummc-bopa-call-for-artists
Applications must include the following:
● Artist Contact information (Name, Address, Email, Telephone)
● Artist Bio (200 words)
● Artist Resume or CV Artwork Samples* (Provide 5 images of artist work samples. Murals work preferred. Files must be submitted as: JPEG format preferred. Please label: Lastname, Firstname,01)
● Work Sample Description Sheet (upload a single sheet of paper describing each work sample, size, medium, year, budget (if applicable) and any other relevant information such as location, etc.)
● Three professional references with contact information.
● NOTE: 1) Applications MUST be submitted online via Submittable. Email and paper applications will not be accepted. 2) Please only include work samples of previously completed art works, do not submit new proposals for this project.
September 14, 2018 Call to Artists Opens
October 19, 2018 Application Deadline
November 5, 2018 Mural Install begins
December 14, 2018 Artwork Installed.
This opportunity is open to all professional artists over 18 years of age residing in the State of Maryland. The artist selection panel will award winning proposals.
The selected artist(s) will receive a commission to design and install the mural art works. The total project budget of $85,000 will be divided amongst the thirty seven murals. The exact number of murals commissioned and contract amount for each artist is To Be Determined. The project budget is all inclusive of travel expenses, taxes and other costs. Artists will be asked to develop proposals only after selected to ensure their design time is included in the contract.
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
• Quality of concept, design and craftsmanship of previous work
• Visual and technical sophistication
• Experience producing artwork for a highly visible public or professional environment
• Proven experience working with project managers, design professionals, and community stakeholders to accomplish a project on time and on budget
• Diversity: The Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts encourages diversity in the City’s public art collection. Artists whose work is represented within the City’s collection are eligible to apply, however the artist selection panel will consider artistic diversity as a factor in the selection process
All applicants will be notified of the Artist Selection Panels decision by November 1, 2018. The Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts and UMMC reserve the right not to select any of the applicants.
We are happy to help to answer any questions about the application process. For any inquires related to the call or artist selection process, please contact:
Chris Brooks, Community Art Specialist, Baltimore Office of Promotion & The Arts
For technical assistance with logging into or navigating Submittable.com please see: https://submittable.help/